Michigan Center Schools Food Services DepartmentThe Michigan Center Schools Food Services Department provides healthy meals and offerings that meet the USDA Healthier, Hunger-Free Act 2010. These offerings are expected to enhance a child's academic and physical performance and address childhood obesity issues.
The USDA School Meals Nutrition Standards require that a variety of low fat unflavored milk or fat free flavored milk be offered, all grains must be at least 51% whole grain-rich, and students must take at least 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetable with breakfast and lunch. Meals also must meet calorie, fat, sodium and sugar guidelines.
In addition to meeting the USDA guidelines for even healthier meals and offerings for your children, starting in school year 2014-15, all foods sold at school during the school day meet nutrition standards. The Smart Snacks in School regulation applies to foods sold a la carte, in the school store, and vending machines.
Below are links to the School Meal Nutrition Standards, Smart Snacks in Schools and regulations and the food calculator we use to make sure food and beverage items meet the Nutrition Guidelines.
Free & Reduced Lunch Applications
See below for Online link and New Form for 2015-2016 School Year.
** APPLICATIONS CAN BE SUBMITTED AT ANY TIME DURING THE YEAR**
IF you are NEW to the district and received Meal Assistance from your previous school you MUST fill out a NEW Application - benefits do NOT transfer automatically !!!
See below for Paper application.
IF filling application out prior to July 1, please use the July 1,2015 date.
Applications dated before July 1, 2015 can not be processed.
Applications must be filled out "Completely".
Please read it carefully and fill in ALL information as asked for.
There are 4 steps/sections - if applicable all sections must be completed.
DO NOT USE PENCIL !
Applications will not be processed until the form is complete. Please make sure you provide current contact information in case we have a question.**Benefits do not start until the application has been processed by theFood Service Office and you receive notification**
ANY CHARGES INCURRED PRIOR TO APPLICATION BEING PROCESSED ARE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PARENT/GUARDIAN.
Free & Reduced Lunch applications can be submittedanytime during the school year as the need arises.
How to apply?
Use our secure online application
- Go to www.lunchapp.com
- Read the agreement and continue.
- Select Michigan Center School District
- Follow the instructions for completing the questions on the application
- Follow the instructions for submitting the application
Complete a paper application (scroll down for applications and instructions)
- Paper applications are available in all school offices or click the link below to download a copy.
- Instructions for completing the application.
- Return the applications to school in a sealed envelope to the attention of;
Director of Food & Nutrition Services
400 S. State St.
Michigan Center, MI 49254
Student's who qualify for Meal Assistance must take Full or "Combo Meals"
(Single, Extra entrees or snack items are NOT covered)
Did you know?
- Family finance is a very personal matter and your application will be handled with confidentiality and respect.
- Students receiving meal benefits are not identified in the service line. Our Meal Magic software protects the identity and privacy of students. All students use the same service line and the computer screen does not indicate which students are free or reduced-price.
- Free and Reduce-price meals are provided with federal tax dollars. The school district does not subsidize meals to students who qualify.
- Michigan Center Schools, Food and Nutrition Services processes all applications, and determines eligibility using federal income guidelines and following federal regulations.