Schools of Choice
Applications for the upcoming school year are available in the Superintendent's office located in the Jr/Sr High School at 400 S. State St., Michigan Center, MI 49254 or may be downloaded (see the link at the bottom of the document to the right) completed, saved, printed, and presented to the building you are applying to.
Please note: School of Choice applications are only accepted while the choice window is open.
Total number of openings available for the upcoming year are based on current enrollment numbers. Larger classes will have fewer openings for school of choice students.
Scroll down for the number of available openings for each class.
Families please note that the Michigan Center Schools School of Choice plan is based on a first-come, first-served system.
- Students who have been suspended, expelled, or convicted of a felony may be excluded.
- Transportation is not provided.
- For sport-specific athletic eligibility rules please refer to the MHSAA guidelines.
If you have any further questions about this process, please contact Tracey Prokos in the superintendent's office at 517-764-5778.
Ten Considerations When Choosing a School
- Does the school and the community match your expectations? Are buildings presentable? Are teachers and students friendly?
- What special services does the school offer? Does it offer the special needs or gifted and talented programming your child might require? Do the extracurricular and athletic offerings match your child’s interests?
- Does the curriculum meet state and national standards? Does the curriculum help prepare children for the realities of the working world and the diverse people they will meet? Does the district offer special programming focused in areas of interest to your child?
- How does the school integrate technology into the classroom? Is technology integrated into the curriculum? Does the school have a well-equipped media center?
- How does the school communicate with families? Do the opportunities for parent involvement meet your needs and desires? Are parents involved in their children’s education?
- What is the student-teacher ratio? Will your child get the attention he or she needs to succeed? Are students actively engaged in their education? Is there a sufficient mix of teaching and self-guided instruction to engage your child?
- Will school or self-provided transportation meet your child’s needs? Will transportation capabilities allow your child to participate in the before- or after-school activities that meet his or her needs and interests?
- Will there be consistency in the curriculum, the staff, and in your child’s friends from year to year?
- How does the school handle disciplinary matters? What is the parent’s involvement in disciplinary matters?
- What is the school doing to meet demands for improved student achievement? Are parents, teachers and administrators actively involved in efforts to ensure curriculum and technology are current and appropriate for student needs?
If you are having trouble viewing the document, you may download the document.